Have you ever wondered what it is that makes professional e-sports athletes gain this edge in order to produce the best output? In today’s highly competitive gaming globe millisecond decisions and accuracy play pivotal roles. The use of cannabidiol (CBD) in recent times has attracted much attention due to its perceived positive effects on one’s well-being. E-sports is a rapidly growing field because it’s stress-relieving, relieves pain, and increases focus. However, is this trend scientifically proven or just a result of hype and placebo effect? We will discuss CBD and e-sports in this comprehensive article. We shall discuss the increase in the use of CBD by pro gamers, identify some advantages it provides as well and reveal what e-sport athletes use CBD products for.
The Rise of CBD in E-Sports
In the last couple of years, CBD has become popular among e-sport players, potentially revolutionizing the gaming world. The use of CBD, which is a non-psychotic substance derived from a cannabis plant, can help improve your concentration level, alleviate stress, and manage body pain. The pluses go hand in hand with what is required by the e-sports world characterized by perfection and psychological focus. Several regions that have legalized CBD allow players to take CBD openly. Besides, the rise has been fuelled by endorsements from well-known electronic sportsmen who encouraged not only amateurs but also professionals to try out CBD for its possible benefits.
Benefits of CBD for E-Sports Athletes
There are reasons why the rise in the popularity of CBD among e-sport communities. More importantly, some e-sport athletes have been adopting CBD since it has the possibility of boosting their performance, putting them ahead of competitors. Here are some key advantages that CBD can offer to e-sports athletes:
1. Enhanced Focus and Concentration: E-sports are played by athletes who have high-level concentrations, fast reactions, and fast thoughts. CBD can promote a relaxed mindset as it has been found to reduce anxiety and improve concentration. It is especially useful in tournaments that may involve split-second decisions that mean everything.
2. Stress and Anxiety Reduction: The mind may get stressed since competitive gaming is not an easy task. It would be possible for e-sport athletes to deal with pressure and always stay calm since CBD has anxiolytic properties.
3. Pain Management: Physical health and wellness cannot be taken lightly where hours of intensive playing can cause aches or even repetitive strain injuries. The pain-relieving benefits of CBD could prove helpful for reducing athletes’ discomfort and enabling them to give it everything they have.
4. Improved Sleep: Good sleep is the essence of attaining good performance, and CBD has been linked to the treatment of sleep disorders as well as improved sleep cycles. Well-rested e-sports athletes are able to heal better and stay aware in games.
5. Recovery and Overall Well-Being: CBD acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and could also be useful for post-gaming recovery providing athletes with the opportunity to recover faster after strenuous sessions. Additionally, it may improve general health and coping with stress in this challenging e-sports environment.
A wide array of prospective advantages of CBD have made most e-sports athletes make use of the product before a game or during recuperation. With increasing knowledge of CBD in the field of science, athletes may choose to embrace the health benefits of this plant-based substance to boost their performance as well as enjoyment during an exciting gaming session.
How E-Sports Athletes are Incorporating CBD Into Their Routines
With increased awareness about CBD in the e-sports community, athletes are finding different methods to be used while at work for maximum effectiveness. Some e-sports athletes consume some of the CBD products such as tinctures and capsules prior to a game in order to reduce anxiety while at the same time increasing one’s concentration. It helps them go into the game with a composed state of mind for making those vital decisions.
Marathon gaming involves physical pain or repetitive overuse injuries among players. CBD’s ability to control pain could offer much-needed reprieve to competitive athletes, helping them maintain performance and concentration free from discomfort. CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties may also help reduce that physical aspect quickly. More so, it may ease the pain by decreasing inflammations after extensive gameplay. The high-stakes nature of competition in the industry leads to stress and burnout, but CBD’s anxiolytic effects help athletes manage stress, keeping their mental fortitude intact. Some e-sport athletes take CBD with the aim of improving the quality of restoration and cognition as well. In relation to the neuroprotective properties of CBD, players consider this belief as the long-term solution for improving cognitive functions such as attention and mental sharpness. More professional gamers have begun to deliberately add CBD to their regimen of workouts in an attempt to gain an edge over their competition. Further studies are required, but the growing acceptance of CBD suggests that it might be an integral part of the industry’s future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes but the CBD has to be derived from hemp and should not have THC, a substance that causes one to get “high.”
CBD in pre-game rituals, during the game as pain relief and discomfort, post-game for recovery process, stress management, and improved sleep and cognitive capabilities of e-sports athletes.
Some of the benefits that may arise from using CBD include improved focus and concentration, stress alleviation, pain relief, better sleep, and long-term cognitive improvements.
There is mounting curiosity about how CBD may help e-sports athletes; however, little research has elucidated its impact on performance. Other than anecdotal evidence, the support of professional gamers is another indication of its potential in competitive gaming.
Dr. Jason O’Donnell works at Holy Cross General Hospital. He is a General Practitioner with extensive experience in cardiology, geriatrics, adult medicine, and internal medicine. Dr. O’Donnell studied at the UCL Medical School and holds a Doctor of Medicine in London in the UK. He also completed an internal medicine internship at London Imperial College. From here he went on to complete a residency in internal medicine at St. George’s London University. He is currently practicing adult medicine, cardiology, geriatrics, and internal medicine at Holy Cross General Hospital. Before he performs any operation, he first assesses the patient’s medical goals and concerns. After the surgery, he monitors the recovery of the patient and makes adjustments to the treatment program, when necessary. Dr. O’Donnell is also a proud member of Health for Humanity where he volunteers his skills in medicine for people in need across the globe.