As interest in hemp oil’s potential therapeutic benefits accelerates, one of the most common questions asked by new users is: “How much hemp oil should I take?”
This comprehensive guide examines recommended dosing considerations, factors impacting ideal hemp oil dosage, safety best practices, and what future advancements may bring for optimizing usage.
Also Read – The Ultimate Guide To Cooking With Hemp Oil
Defining Hemp Oil
While often conflated with CBD oil, hemp oil is distinct. CBD oil isolates and concentrates solely the cannabinoid compound CBD from the hemp plant. Hemp oil is extracted from the seeds and flowers of Cannabis sativa and delivers a full spectrum of the plant’s 100+ active compounds like cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids. This “entourage effect” of multiple interacting compounds enhances therapeutic potential.
General Hemp Oil Dosage Recommendations
When first using hemp oil, it is advisable to start low and increase gradually as needed. Recommended dosing practices include:
- Start Low, Go Slow: Begin with the lowest dose suggested for your product and continue for 2-3 weeks, while monitoring effects. Then incrementally increase your dosage while continuing to assess results and document any changes. Patience is paramount.
- Weight-Based Approach: As a general guideline, start with 1 milligram of hemp oil per 10 pounds of body weight, taken twice daily. So a 150 pound person would start with a 15 mg dose. This serves as a useful baseline.
- Follow Product Instructions: Always refer to the product’s label or included dosage recommendations, which account for that oil’s specific potency, delivery method and other ingredients present. Contact the manufacturer directly if suggestions are unclear.
- Consult Your Doctor: Discuss integrating hemp oil supplements with your healthcare provider, especially if taking other medications or diagnosed with health conditions. Get their medical guidance.
Key Factors Influencing Ideal Dosage
Multiple key factors play into determining an optimal hemp oil dosage, including:
- Body Weight: Heavier individuals may require a proportionally higher dose to reach desired effects, while smaller individuals may need less.
- Desired Effects: General wellness involves lower doses than acute issues like chronic pain relief or anxiety management. Dosing should suit your goal.
- Individual Body Makeup: Unique body chemistry, metabolism, age, diet and genetic predispositions can influence required dosing to see results. There is no universal dose.
- Delivery Method: How one takes their hemp oil affects absorption and potency needed. For example, transdermal topicals require higher concentrations than sublingual tinctures to provide effects systemically.
Hemp Oil Safety Tips and Precautions
While generally well-tolerated, judiciousness with any new supplement is recommended. Safety best practices include:
- Consulting your physician before use, especially if taking other medications or diagnosed with health conditions. Disclose your supplement regimen.
- Beginning with a low dose and incrementing very gradually while closely monitoring effects. Adjust or pause if adverse reactions occur.
- Only utilizing high-quality, third-party tested hemp oil products from reputable companies committed to transparency and purity.
- Exercising patience when establishing ideal dosage – it often takes weeks or longer. Most hemp oil containers provide a 30-60 day supply.
The Future of Hemp Oil Dosing
As hemp oil gains mainstream acceptance, several key advances in dosing practices are likely to emerge:
- Increased research into targeted formulas, delivery methods and protocols optimized for specific health goals and demographics.
- More precise individualized dosing guidance based on demographic data, genetic testing, bloodwork and other personal biomarkers.
- Custom combinations of rare hemp compounds crafted to complement unique health needs based on advanced lab testing of deficiencies.
- Time-released and extended-release hemp oil capsules and nano-emulsions enabling longer-lasting effects.
Also Read – Hemp: The Green Revolution In Sustainability
While questions remain, one certainty is health experts, manufacturers and regulators will continue working to unlock hemp oil’s full potential through carefully refined products and data-driven dosage guidance.
Dr. Jason O’Donnell works at Holy Cross General Hospital. He is a General Practitioner with extensive experience in cardiology, geriatrics, adult medicine, and internal medicine. Dr. O’Donnell studied at the UCL Medical School and holds a Doctor of Medicine in London in the UK. He also completed an internal medicine internship at London Imperial College. From here he went on to complete a residency in internal medicine at St. George’s London University. He is currently practicing adult medicine, cardiology, geriatrics, and internal medicine at Holy Cross General Hospital. Before he performs any operation, he first assesses the patient’s medical goals and concerns. After the surgery, he monitors the recovery of the patient and makes adjustments to the treatment program, when necessary. Dr. O’Donnell is also a proud member of Health for Humanity where he volunteers his skills in medicine for people in need across the globe.