In recent years, the world has shifted towards general wellness and self-care by discovering a range of alternative therapies and ingredients. A top alternative here is CBD or cannabidiol. This is a compound extracted from Hemp a cannabis sativa plant. CBD has been dominating the wellness industry with its range of exciting beverages. A top trend is mocktails.
In this article, we will explore the uniqueness of CBD mocktails by sharing different ingredients and directives for use.
A Primer on CBD
Before we dive in, we must first have a deep understanding of what CBD is all about.
What is its origin: CBD is an active compound in the Cannabis sativa plant. It is a non-psychoactive compound, unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). That means it doesn’t produce the “high” associated with taking cannabis.
What are the benefits of CBD? Anecdotal evidence and some studies highlighted that CBD can help to alleviate anxiety, inflammation, pain, and more.This is why it has been adopted into oils lotions, edibles, and now, beverages.
Taste Profile: CBD has a distinct and earthy taste. It is not unpleasant and can be used when making beverages.
The Mocktail Revolution
Mocktails or non-alcoholic cocktails have created a niche for themselves among those who love the artistry of cocktails but want to avoid alcohol.The beverages are really about the flavor and experience of their alcoholic counterparts by providing a unique taste.When you combine this with CBD you will have a therapeutic mocktail experience. The drinks merge the vibrant and dynamic world of mixology with the calming effects of CBD.
Crafting the Perfect CBD Mocktail
The process of making a CBD-infused mocktail is more than just adding a few drops of CBD oil to a drink. It involves the following:
1. Choosing the Right CBD Formulation:
- CBD Tincture: This liquid extract is mixed with carrier oils and is perfect for most drinks because it is easy to mix.
- CBD Isolate: This crystalline powder is a great choice if you are looking for a potent punch of pure CBD.
- Water-Soluble CBD: Recently introduced but is made to blend seamlessly with beverages.
2. Balance and Harmony:
Balance is important as with all culinary creations. When incorporating an earthy ingredient like CBD, it is important to counterbalance its taste.
- Sweet: Syrups, honey, or agave can change the taste of earthiness.
- Sour: Fresh citrus juices like lemon or lime will provide zest and vitality.
- Savory: Some herbs, like basil or rosemary will beautifully complement its natural flavors.
3. Mixing Matters:
To make sure you get an even distribution, you should always stir or shake your mocktail. This ensures every sip is mixed with the desired amount of CBD.
The Art of CBD Mixology: Inspiring Recipes
Let’s look at these two delectable recipes.
CBD Tropical Twist: Ingredients:
- 10mg CBD tincture
- 1 oz pineapple juice
- 0.5 oz coconut cream
- Water or soda
- Ice cubes
- Pineapple slice and cherry for garnish
Directions for Use:
- In a shaker combine CBD tincture, pineapple juice, and coconut cream.
- Then Shake vigorously.
- Fill a glass with ice and pour in the mixture.
- Top off with sparkling water or soda garnish with a pineapple slice and cherry and serve.
CBD Lavender Dream:
- 10mg CBD tincture
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 0.5 oz lavender syrup
- Ice cubes
- Lavender sprig for garnish
- In a glass add CBD tincture lemon juice and lavender syrup.
- Add ice and top off with sparkling water.
- Stir gently
- Garnish with a lavender sprig and serve.
Crafting with Care
With CBD mocktails make sure you are aware of how your body reacts to CBD and consult a healthcare professional if you are not sure of the right dosages or interactions with other medications.
CBD mocktails are a perfect blend of wellness and gastronomy. As we become more health-conscious and discerning in the choice of beverages CBD infused drinks offer a unique and flavorful alternative. If you are hosting a party or looking for a unique experience CBD mocktails offer a sophisticated and therapeutic twist.
Dr. Jason O’Donnell works at Holy Cross General Hospital. He is a General Practitioner with extensive experience in cardiology, geriatrics, adult medicine, and internal medicine. Dr. O’Donnell studied at the UCL Medical School and holds a Doctor of Medicine in London in the UK. He also completed an internal medicine internship at London Imperial College. From here he went on to complete a residency in internal medicine at St. George’s London University. He is currently practicing adult medicine, cardiology, geriatrics, and internal medicine at Holy Cross General Hospital. Before he performs any operation, he first assesses the patient’s medical goals and concerns. After the surgery, he monitors the recovery of the patient and makes adjustments to the treatment program, when necessary. Dr. O’Donnell is also a proud member of Health for Humanity where he volunteers his skills in medicine for people in need across the globe.