Just like humans, pets can also face health challenges that can affect their lifespan. As pet owners, we must constantly seek ways to ensure our pets have the best lives.
There has been an increasing interest in the potential benefits of CBD for pets, especially dogs.
But, what exactly is CBD, and is it beneficial for pets?
In this article, we’ll be exploring whether you should consider using CBD for dogs.
Let’s dive in!
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, commonly referred to as CBD, is a compound derived from the cannabis plant. It doesn’t have the psychoactive component found in THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in certain strains of cannabis.
CBD does not have the ability to get you or your pet high. Instead, it has therapeutic benefits, some of which we’ll explore below.
The Benefits of CBD for Pets
Recent studies on CBD have shown evidence of its potential benefits for our pets. Some of which are:
- Alleviation of Joint Pain: Just like humans, pets can also suffer from joint pain especially in old age. Thankfully, some studies showed that CBD can be used to alleviate this pain, thereby making it easier for them to move around.
- Improved Sleep Patterns: Some pets struggle with constant inability to get proper sleep, however, using CBD can help them get the much-needed sleep.
- General Well-being: Apart from some specific health issues, there’s a growing interest in the overall benefits of CBD for pets. They have been quite effective in reducing anxiety and improving mood.
Is CBD Safe for Pets?
CBD are completely safe for pets, but it is important that pet owners approach it with caution and extra care. Make sure to consult a veterinarian before you add CBD to your pet’s routine. This will ensure you get the right dosage because giving too much or too little might not produce the desired effects and it’ll help you prevent any form of harm.
Legal Aspects of CBD for Pets in the UK
Thankfully, CBD products are heavily regulated. This is important because pet owners can get to understand where and how they can buy quality CBD products for their pets.
Over-the-counter CBD products available in health stores are completely different from medical cannabis, which requires a prescription.
How to Administer CBD to Pets
As a pet owner, there are different methods to consider when giving CBD to your pets such as horses. Some of these are:
- Tinctures: These are liquid forms of CBD that can easily be added to food or dropped directly into the pet’s mouth.
- Treats: A lot of companies now produce CBD-infused treats that make it easy to give pets their daily dose, without going above the prescription.
- Topicals: These are creams or balms that are applied directly to the skin. They are super useful for issues like joint pain.
Irrespective of the method you want to use, make sure you are adhering to the correct dosage and monitor your pet reaction to the CBD products.
Dr. Jason O’Donnell works at Holy Cross General Hospital. He is a General Practitioner with extensive experience in cardiology, geriatrics, adult medicine, and internal medicine. Dr. O’Donnell studied at the UCL Medical School and holds a Doctor of Medicine in London in the UK. He also completed an internal medicine internship at London Imperial College. From here he went on to complete a residency in internal medicine at St. George’s London University. He is currently practicing adult medicine, cardiology, geriatrics, and internal medicine at Holy Cross General Hospital. Before he performs any operation, he first assesses the patient’s medical goals and concerns. After the surgery, he monitors the recovery of the patient and makes adjustments to the treatment program, when necessary. Dr. O’Donnell is also a proud member of Health for Humanity where he volunteers his skills in medicine for people in need across the globe.